Saturday, December 29, 2007

The KISS Principle is Hard

The most obvious principle in software development is KISS or Keep It Simple Stupid is a hard principle to follow.

And it show up in my incompetence during the development of my upcoming Twisted Shootout game.

Just today, I made the finishing touch to my programming task involving collision detection.

I just solved the final piece of puzzle with a simple adjustment of a fricking variable.(After a spontaneous look at an overlooked variable)

All this time, I been thinking of overly complicated solution to my problems when it is right under my nose!

Before I had to adjust the variable, I also tried an overly complicated algorithm that went nowhere until a ruby-loving friend with a mathematic degree told me that I should his simple approach. It replaced like 99% of various conditional statements, variables, and others with a simple conditional statement and a few variables.

Moral of the story:

What you think off the top of your head is often not the most simple or easiest solution to the problem.

You can discuss this post at the forum.

No comments: